Getting a learner’s permit is the first step to the driver’s license that will grant you the freedom of the open road. However, there is one important battle you must conquer first: passing the multiple-choice test that is prepared by the Colorado Department of Transportation that will allow you to get a learner’s permit.
1) Colorado Practice Permit Test: The first step to passing that test is to take another test. However, unlike the test to get your learner’s permit, our practice test can be taken anytime, anywhere, as many times as necessary. Even if you think you know everything there is to know about driving, road laws, road signs, or rules regarding non-automobile vehicles such as skateboards, taking a practice test first is a great way to get some confidence before the big test.
2) Colorado Drivers Manual: The next step to passing that test is to study the manual that is freely available from many places on the Internet, including right here. You wouldn’t take a math test without reading the textbook first, don’t take a permit test without reading the related reading material either.
3) Colorado Road Signs: Finally, make sure you’re familiar with the road signs. They’re in the manual, and this will be on the test.
4) Colorado Permit Test Flash Cards: Colorado permit test flash cards will help you remember the Colorado road signs and road rules in an easy way. Study these flash cards to prepare for the Colorado permit test.
5) Colorado Permit Test Cheat Sheet: This cheat sheet will help you remember the important test questions and help you prepare for the Colorado permit test in simple easy way. You can either download or read the cheat sheet online.
These three steps are all it’s going to take to get you through that test. We know you can do it, and we want you to know that you can do it!
Colorado Permit Test FAQs:
How do I get driver’s permit in Colorado?
If you have never held a driver’s license before, you must apply for a Colorado driver’s awareness or driver’s education permit. To do this, you are required to pass a written exam on safe driving techniques, motor vehicle laws and traffic signs.
In order to receive a Colorado minor driver’s license, you must also pass a vision test and a road skills test after you have received your valid driver’s awareness or driver’s education permit.
If you are under the age of 18 years, before taking the road skills test, you must hold a learner’s permit for at least 12 months and also show a certificate of completion of 50 hours of supervised driving. If you are under the age of 16.5 years when you apply for your license, you must also complete a 6-hour Behind the Wheel (BTW) certificate.
How do I prepare for the Colorado permit test?
It is required that all applicants must pass a written exam on safe driving techniques, traffic signs and motor vehicle laws. Studying for this exam is encouraged so that you can obtain your learner’s permit when you reach the required age. Test your driving knowledge by taking the Colorado practice test now. Online practice tests are available that provide real sample questions from the exam. It may be required of you to wait until at least the next day to re-take the test if you fail it. Some states also charge a fee to re-take the test.
I have recently moved to Colorado. How do I get the driver’s license?
If you are new resident in Colorado, and you have an out-of-state license, you are required to obtain a Colorado driver’s license when you establish a permanent residence. (You are considered a resident upon becoming employed or have lived in Colorado for 90 continuous days, whichever comes first.) You must surrender your out-of-state license to obtain the new one, so be sure to bring it with you when you are going to the DMV.
To exchange a valid out-of-state license for a Colorado license, you will need to pass the vision test; however, you will not be required to complete a road skills test or a written exam.
You may be asked for additional identification if you cannot present a license. Both a road skills test and a written exam are required if your license is has been expired for more than one year.
I am from the overseas. Do I have to apply for the Colorado driver’s license?
If you have an international driving permit, the state of Colorado will honor your valid foreign driver’s license. Of course, you will be required to pass the road skills test and written exam and convert to a Colorado license when you become a resident of the state.
What documentation do I require for Colorado driving permit?
Be sure you have all of the following required documents to get your driver’s license when you head to the Colorado DMV Office:
What will happen after I pass the permit test?
You will receive the following, once your licensing requirements have been met:
- Restricted Driver’s License (16 to 18 years of age) valid for 5 years.
- Full Driver’s License (18 and older) valid for 5 years.
Always remember—to safely operate a motor vehicle you need knowledge, skill, and an understanding that there are limitations imposed by the environment and other drivers.