New Drivers and First Time Applicants
Listed below are the requirements for an applicant to fulfil in order to be eligible for a driver’s license in South Carolina:
- Minimum age of the applicants has to be fifteen years.
- Applicants below 18 years of age need parental consent. A parent or legal guardian must also accompany them during application. Beginner Drivers and/or Learner’s Permits for Beginner Drivers will give one more details about this.
- The tests to pass include driving test, written test, and vision test. The Practice Tests and Driver’s Handbook will give you detailed information about the written examination. There are also driver education programs for individuals who want to train for their upcoming driving test.
- Social Security Number is a must.
- Applicants must also bring valid proof of identification.
- Applicants must carry acceptable proof of insurance.
- Applicants must also be able to prove their residency in South Carolina.
New residents of South Carolina have a 90-day driving privilege that is granted to them by the State DMV. After the completion of the 90 days, one has to start the application process. New residents who possess an expired driver’s license from the state they relocated from will need to pass a written test as well as a road skill test in order to gain the driver’s license in SC. Residents in SC who are not US citizens can also apply for driver’s license. However, they should be able to prove to the State DMV that they are in the country legally. There are also other requirements to be met alongside. These residents can drive for three months on their International Driver’s Permit. After that, they will have to produce a SC driver’s license. License issued to a foreign citizen will expire on the date that their legal authorization of their stay in the United States comes to an end as set by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service.
- The written knowledge test will cost the applicant $2.
- Beginner’s Permit costs $2.50.
- Individuals who apply online for 5 year renewal will have to pay $12.50.
- Driver’s License for 10 years will cost $25. This is only for the Field office.
- A Commercial Driver’s License costs $15.
The validity of the driver’s license in SC depends on the age of driver at the time of the issuance of the license.
- Those below the age of 65 years will be given a license for 10 years.
- Those of age 65 and above will be given a license for 5 years.